August 2, 2007

Trip Update 1

Well, what can I say? It was the most amazing trip I've ever been on! It was hard...the sun was hot, but God was good!!!!

So, after the interesting rental van story and some great Chinese food, we headed down to Miami. The travelers were myself, Juanita Megan Spradling, Jordan Chew, Eric Wilfredo Mendez, Jorge Luis Romanacce, Abot Jones and Ton Twining (or, as I have named him - the Madman at the Piano :0). We had to read some interesting stuff on the way down, in preparation for our trip, so we all took turns reading it aloud...Eric does a mean German accent! Haha!

After stopping at Starbucks and getting the van...washed, we got back on the road and Todd shared with us some words and pictures the Lord laid on his heart. He gave each of us a card and a verse - all in Spanish! This was really cool because he had been given a word for each of us from the verse he had written in the card. He sensed that the Lord was going to answer the questions of my heart while on this trip. (Side note: when receiving a word like this, it's best not to assume that this means God is going to give clear definitive direction such as which job to take, which school to go to or which person to marry. A better expectation is to expect nothing and be surprised with how He chooses to answer. :o)

Anyway, we arrived in Miami at the Fabs' house (they're truly 'Fab'ulous people! har, har, har!). The rest of the team was there, as well as some of the PVCC church members. We had yummy pizza and a great massive chocolate cake with gi-normous chocolate covered strawberries (I can still taste them!). Then we had a time of worship and ministry. It was so neat to see the way the team was already merging as one and posturing themselves to serve and love each other. Afterwards, we went to our host families (Jenn - a.k.a. Juanita Megan - and I stayed at the Fabs which consisted of Jose, Odalys, Carice and Chelsey).

We woke up the next morning at 4:30 a.m. (bleh!) even though I was supposed to get up at 4:00 a.m. I was still ready at 5:00 a.m....suitcase packed and all (thanks to Juanita Megan's sitting capabilities! ;o) After a nice drive in Miguelito's van with Fernando entertaining us on the way to the airport, we arrived at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m. I pretty much stumbled inside desperately trying to locate a place that I could buy wonderful coffee from.

We checked in (have you ever had to tell them how much you weigh before? Yeah, that shows how small our plane would be, when they track everyone's weight. The question of the morning was whether or not to add the ounces from that morning's breakfast....I opted against that additional weig....I mean, info). We stood around and waited. And walked through security (if you go through at Miami - for those of you O-towners - they have this really cool air-blast thingie. I think they just like to see the fear on everyone's faces as it POOFS you. I don't think it really does a thing.) Then we went and boarded the plane pretty much right away. And when I say 'plane', I mean something about the size your little brother flies with a remote control. When we boarded, there was this crazy white smoke filling the cabin and the whole thing stunk...not usually a good sign.

We landed - what an amazing feeling! I will never forget each of the three times I've landed in the Caribbean. There's an immediate difference in the air! So, we got off (oh yeah, we had to fly a second plane over with the rest of our luggage...again!) and went through customs and then security where the snacks in my backpack got thrown away....or should I say Todd's snacks. :o(

I don't remember how many pieces of luggage we had, but it was a ton!!! After locating them all and matching them up to the right tags (btw, I've got ideas on how to make that work differently, next time ;o), most everyone headed outside. Usually about a hundred people hang on the fence waiting for the arriving flights. That's another of those things I will never forget.

Pino, Abot and I got stuck going through a second line of security with a bunch of luggage. There were some interesting details surrounding this that take a lot of time to explain. Feel free to ask any of us in person about these. :o)

We had a great big tour bus waiting for us with the family we were staying with waiting inside. It was so exciting to see them all!!! We ate lunch there and hung out on the bus for quite a long time and then went 'sight-seeing' for a little while. When we arrived at the house, it was like a big family reunion! It was like coming home! I love this place and the church.

That night we basically got settled in, ate our first meal, hung out on the roof (which was flat, in case you were concerned :o) and went to bed.

So, that's all for now...here are about 30 pics I took of the first couple days.

9 comments:

Tammy said...

I can't wait to hear more about your trip and all that God did!

Anonymous said...

YOU woke up at 4:30am!! that's sick...we had to be OUT THE DOOR by 4:30am :)

I love you girl...it was awesome spending one more missions trip with you! just for the record...i totally rocked Gracies fan better than Abbott... ;)

-Mefea

ps i'm really glad that we didn't die from the strange smoke in the plane going there...and i'm glad no one crashed the plane on the way back...but if they did it'd be an honor to die with such God honoring people!! Te Amo

Anonymous said...

Ya, I am with Mefea on this one. Abbott and I set our alarms for 4:15 :) we had to be out the door at 4:30am also. And it disturbed me a little to see Abbott do so well with that fan. Good times!

Medana22 said...

Hey Girl,
glad to see your alive! Miss you much, by the way one day could we go on a missions trip together? If we channeled all of our trouble making energy into serving could you imagine all that we could do together?!

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

We should, Medana! That would be fun! How about a missions trip to Fringe? ;o)

Hannah H. said...

It's so neat to hear about your trip!!! And seeing the photos of the people down there! And of the church!

Anonymous said...

from your Mom:
When I see the pictures of the precious brothers and sisters, especially the little children that you and the team served, I am thrilled again at the kindness of our God! And no matter how many stories you tell me about your trip, I will always love hearing "just one more"...

Meghann Roberts said...

What precious memories I am sure you made last week! And just think...one day you will be enjoying eternity with those same people!! I can't wait to hear more of your stories and see more of your pictures! Love ya, Me =)

Jennifer Lightfoot said...

Hannah? Is that THE Hannah Berry? Is it? Huh? :o)