June 28, 2008

Respectable Sins

I (fiiiiiiiinally) started reading this book by Bridges the other day and am loving it! I can't wait to read the next chapter! I came across this quote that just summarizes what sin is:


"It is not just the breaking of a single command; it is a complete disregard for the law of God, a deliberate rejection of His moral will in favor of fulfilling one's own desires." (p. 20)


Wow. All sin. My sin. It is a DELIBERATE rejection. It's a rejection of His good and perfect will, plan and purpose. It is a rejection based on the motivation of doing what I want to do. It is placing my desires and preferences above His.


The fact that I'm stopped short by this definition clearly shows how much I've bought into our culture's lies that soften sin and make it less of the offense that it is. Wow. Off to read the next chapter...

2 comments:

Colleen Moore said...

Hi Jen! =D

You have no idea how timely that quote is for me!

Love and miss you!
Colleen

Anonymous said...

Hey girl!
Shannon Day (our pastor) just did a series based on this book! You can go to our church website and get the messages!!! REALLY convicting for me, but good!!! Love you and miss you!!!